The first factory to produce railway carriages on the specific site were the Hungarian-Swiss Railway Carriage Works, established in 1867. The Depot, soon becoming part of MÁV Hungarian State Railways, quickly developed into one of the biggest and most advanced in Budapest, producing and servicing electric and diesel engines, while also playing a major role in the maintenance of railway vehicle stock of the country. After production gradually declined, the former railway station became defunct, and finally the Maintenance Depot was closed in 2009.
Until now, surrounding brownfield area has served as temporary commercial and storage facility. However, the recent urbanisation of Hungária körút (Hungária Boulevard) and the functional changes of the brownfield zone started an upward transformation: a range of new cultural and sports projects are planned close by, and the 1 km2 Népliget (People’s Park) will soon be reconstructed as well. Synergies will support and reinforce the transformation and redevelopment of this part of the district.